Skip to main content
- 1/3/2023: Prof. Rama Maganti (Dept. of Neurology, WISC) has just been awarded a major grant by the US Department of Defense to study prevention of the neurobehavioral sequelae of Traumatic brain injury (TBI). This research will further expand upon Prof. Maganti’s recent work showing the potential of dual orexin receptor antagonists to suppress posttraumatic seizures and treat sleep disturbances in individuals with TBI.
- 7/6/2022: Martange Production (Fr) has just finished a new documentary “Aux frontieres du sommeil (At the borders of sleep)” that prominently features research on the synaptic homeostasis hypothesis (SHY). The documentary also contains an interview with WISC researcher Prof. Chiara Cirelli.
- 6/21/2022: Our paper ‘Mechanism Integrated Information’ has just been selected by the journal Entropy as an Editor’s Choice article.
- 05/06/2022: Prof. Chiara Cirelli has won the prestigious Pisa Sleep Award for her work on the development of the synaptic homeostasis hypothesis (SHY), a global hypothesis about the function of sleep.
- 12/10/21: WISC Director of Research Giulio Tononi has just been recognized on the Institute for Scientific Information™ list of Highly Cited Researchers 2021. You can read more about Dr. Tononi and the other highly cited researchers in this press release from UW research.
- 8/1/2020: Dr. David Plante has won the American Academy of Sleep Medicine Foundation’s Strategic Research Award for his research on the role of epigenetic modification of Pax8 in Hypersomnia.
- 1/6/2020: A new special issue of the journal Entropy devoted to the Integrated Information Theory of Consciousness has just been published.
- 6/1/2019: A special issue of the journal Entropy devoted to Integrated Information Theory has just been published. The guest editors of this issue are Associate Scientist Larissa Albantakis and WISC Director Giulio Tononi.
- 1/1/2019: A special issue of the Journal of Consciousness Studies devoted to the Integrated Information Theory of Consciousness has just been published. This issue discusses extensively the theory of consciousness developed by Prof. Giulio Tononi and his colleagues at WISC
- 12/13/2018: WISC Director Giulio Tononi has been awarded the Leibniz Chair at the Leibniz Institute for Neurobiology in Magdeburg, Germany
- 10/2018: WISC Director Giulio Tononi has been selected as a winner of the Humboldt Foundation’s Humboldt Research Award. This prestigious award is given to recognize a scientist whose “fundamental discoveries, new theories, or insights have had a significant impact on their own discipline and who are expected to continue producing cutting-edge achievements in the future.” More information about the award can be found here.
- 10/18/18: WISC Director Giulio Tononi has been awarded the Bernese Sleep Award by the Academy of Sleep & Consciousness and the Universities of Bern & Lugano
- 4/27/2018: The Sleep Research Society has awarded WISC researcher Prof. Chiara Cirelli the Outstanding Scientific Achievement Award for novel and seminal discoveries of a basic, clinical or theoretical nature that have made a significant impact on the sleep field. The official award announcement can be found here.
- 9/8/2017: The Max Planck Institute has awarded WISC Director Giulio Tononi the 2017 Klaus Joachim Zülch Prize for consciousness research.
- 5/19/2017: WISC Director Giulio Tononi has been awarded the Italian Society for Neuroethics’ SINe Medal by the University of Padova, Italy
- 10/30/2017: Harvard Medical School has awarded WISC researchers Prof. Chiara Cirelli and Prof. Giulio Tononi the Peter C. Farrell Prize in Sleep Medicine for their outstanding lifetime contributions to the field of sleep research. Details on the award can be found here, and pictures of the ceremony here.
- 4/1/2017: WISC Director Giulio Tononi has been awarded an Honorary Doctoral Degree from Universidad Nacional de San Martin for his outstanding achievements in the field of consciousness research. Video of the award ceremony can be found here.